2014년 11월 26일 수요일

Make sure to disable NetworkManager before manually assigning IP addresses to network interfaces

This might be obvious, but I am writing this post as a note to myself in the future: stop NetworkManager before you do network configuration work in Linux!

I had the following happen to me several weeks ago. I was sent to install RHEL on several machines during a server room maintenance window from 2:00~5:00 am. Strangely, however, PXE installation kept freezing in the middle of the installation. tail -f /var/log/messages revealed that NetworkManager was deleting the IP address I had assigned to the PXE server (followed by messages that ntpd was removing the IP from its records). I once again manually added an IP with

ip addr add 192.168.10.100/24 broadcast 192.168.10.255 dev eth0

which enabled the PXE install over http to continue once again. But every 5 minutes,  NetworkManager would again delete the IP, requiring me to manually add it once more. Once I stopped the NM service altogether, random IP address deletions no longer occurred. As my PXE server is a CentOS 6.5 VM that uses SysVinit, to stop the NetworkManager service I use:

service NetworkManager stop

but for those of you on distros using systemd you would use

systemctl stop NetworkManager

When adding an IP, I usually just specify addr/CIDR and broadcast address (which has worked just fine for me), but this tutorial from the Archlinux docs recommends also adding routing information.

Postscript 2015.12.04
Nowadays I am working with Openstack at work, and NetworkManager and openstack are incompatible. After the openstack installation completes using scripts from packstack or devstack, you will be warned if the NetworkManager daemon is running. For machines intended as openstack nodes, it is a good idea to just disable NetworkManager (or any other network connection management daemon like wicd, connman, etc.) entirely:

systemctl disable NetworkManager
systemctl stop NetworkManager

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기