2016년 2월 13일 토요일

Manually Installing xfce4 on Fedora 23 Server

I recently found myself needing to launch a VM image in qcow2 format using KVM. The VM required various additional settings such as bridged networking (using one of the host's ethernet ports) and attachment of virtual storage (/dev/vdXY). Unfortunately, since I am not familiar with the libvirt cli tool virsh, I had to rely on the nice GUI interface of virt-manager. The server machine I was working on did not have X windows installed, so I assumed that simply invoking

dnf install @xfce-desktop

would be sufficient. After installing all the packages and dependencies for xfce4, when I tried to launch X windows with startxfce4, I got the following error:

xinit: unable to run server "X": No such file or directory

The problem is caused by xfce4 packages not having X windows as a dependency!

To manually install all the X windows packages in Fedora 23, invoke the following:

dnf group install base-x

This will install all the all the xorg-x11-[blah] packages necessary for X windows to start.

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기